Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Curve Ball

Lots of new things have been going on with me. I'm sure some of you noticed that I hadn't posted in a while.

About 2 weeks ago my co-worker, who was the Office Manager, that had been here 9 years, put in her notice. Her notice that she was going to work a week and a half and she was taking another job. After that, everything kind of came crashing down.

One of my bosses approached me and asked me if I knew how to deposit checks (something that he knew I didn't know how to do - it wasn't part of my job). The co-worker that was giving her notice was in with the other boss with the door shut when I got into the office. I caught on quick and asked the other boss why he was asking me. He pulled me into his office and told me that she had give her week and a half notice. I was shocked. After all, the company has been around 10 years, and she's been with them for 9. We quickly brain stormed as to what she knew how to do.. She was our IT person (to an extent), Office Manager, A/R and A/P person, etc. Basically, she ran this mother.

All the events are running together and I can't remember if this is correct, but I believe that my boss basically asked me right there if I wanted the position. Of course I was given time to think about it, but that was a major curve ball. I had actually been planning to start looking for jobs in Nashville, to be with S. I had some decisions to make, and I needed to make them fast. I prayed about it a lot (in the little time I had) and I ultimately decided to take it. After all, I love the firm I work for and get along with everyone (for the most part..everyone has those days). I decided that it was a huge stepping stone for me and my future.

Training me on how to do her many jobs started immediately. Even if I decided I wasn't going to take the position, they still needed someone to be able to make the office run until they found a replacement. I stayed one night until 10:30 with her, and the next till 9:30, and then on her last day, I came in 45 minutes early. Luckily she created a manual for me to follow with directions on how to run things.

My first day was last Monday. I was determined to make it all run smoothly. Towards the end of the day, I started getting frustrated and ended up getting teary because I just wasn't getting something. I'm sure you've been there at one point. My boss was very understanding and told me he didn't want me coming in all stressed out and that I wasn't going to "get it" in one day. I knew that of course, but I was SO determined...

It's definitely not been a piece of cake. I'm doing two jobs until they find a replacement for my old job. They interviewed a few people, but one of the girls we all really liked took another job (before we could even offer it to her!).

Needless to say, I've been extremely tired from stress (learning as I go, a completely new job that I was trained on superfast, and doing my old one).

To Be Continued...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure things will get better!! Don't let yourself get too stressed out!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave me a comment!